A13.2 Training Questions
Following questions will help instructors to examine the success of their training courses. Trainers-training is an integrated, important part of the Project.
For autodidactic, on-line students, these questions will help to check their knowledge.
- - - - -
Questions to Chapter 1:
1) Which file type is used by Map Maker?
2) Which other vector file types do you know?
3) How do you convert an external vector file format to Map Maker format? List the commands.
4) Why do you have to convert to Map Maker format?
5) What type of data are in vector files? List the 3 major types:
6) Beside vector files, what other types of files do we use in LUPMIS?
7) Which raster file types do you know?
8) Of each raster type, what are the advantages and disadvantages?
9) Which raster format do we use mainly in LUPMIS?
10) How do you add a raster or vector layer in Map Maker?
11) How do you remove a layer from the display?
12) How do you navigate (move around) on a map in Map Maker? List 3 commands.
13) What means ‘to zoom’?
14) How do you zoom? List some commands (at least 3).
15) What is screen scale? What is the difference between screen scale and ‘normal’ scale? Where can you read the screen scale?
16) What is the recommended screen scale, when digitizing a 1:2500 sector layout?
17) Can you explain the drop in / out option?
18) What are internal data? What are external (database) data?
19) How can we see internal / external data of an individual feature (line or polygon)? List the commands:
20) There are different ways of searching for a unit. Explain at least 3 ways:
21) How can you measure a distance?
22) How can you measure an area?
23) Where else do we have the size of an area?
24) How can you read the coordinates of a point?
25) What is a Map Maker project?
26) What does a Map Maker project contain, and what not?
27) In which file is a Map Maker project stored?
- - - - -
Questions to Chapter 2, block 1:
1) What is the name of the layer, where you can edit?
2) Normally, there is a blue dot in the polygon, when you digitize. What do you do, if it is not there?
3) Can you digitize polygons, lines and points together in one layer?
4) Should you do so?
5) Draw a polyline on this paper and mark some vertex points and nodes:
6) What is snapping?
7) How do you snap?
8) You have a main road in your road layer. Now you have tracked a sideroad with a T-junction from this road. What do you do in the GIS? (Mention 2 procedures)
9) How do you enter a line in the GIS? (Mention 3 procedures)
10) How do you enter a polygon in the GIS? (Mention 2 procedures)
11) What are markers?
12) How do you set markers?
13) How do you delete a feature? (Mention 2 methods)
14) Why / when do you have to split a line?
15) Why / when do you have to split a polygon ?
16) What happens, if you use the cutter-tool, but start inside the polygon?
17) What is the opposite of splitting a line?
- - - - -
Questions to Chapter 2, block 2:
1) How do you join two polygons?
2) Does it make a difference which direction you join?
3) Very often joining does not work. Why?
4) Two adjacent polygons must have a ‘good’ boundary between them. What can you do to ensure that. Mention three methods to produce a ‘clean’ boundary.
5) What is the opposite to ‘overlapping’?
6) When you cut two polygons, what happens to their ID, styles and labels? How can you control that?
7) What is an island?
8) How can you create an island?
9) On the computer: Open Map Maker and create a polygon, and inside the polygon, an island.
10) You have some small polygons. Now you want to create a large polygon ‘around’ these small polygons. How do you do that?
11) On the computer: Open Map Maker and create 3 small polygons, and a large polygon around them.
12) What is a doughnut?
13) Explain the general steps to digitize a Sector Layout.
- - - - -
Questions to Chapter 3:
1) Use Exercise_chapter3_buffer1 (single road) and create a polygon buffer around this line with 40 m on each side.
2) Use Exercise_chapter3_buffer2 (line with various segments). Can you create buffers around this line? If there is a problem: Why? Give ideas how to resolve this.
3)Use Exercise_chapter3_buffer3 (another line). Can you create buffers around this line? If there is a problem: Why? Give ideas how to resolve this.
4) Use Exercise_chapter3_buffer4 (another line….). Can you create buffers around this line? If there is a problem: Why? Give ideas how to resolve this.
5) Use Exercise_chapter3_buffer5 (road cross). Can you create buffers around these roads? If there is a problem: Why? Give ideas how to resolve this.
6) Use Exercise_chapter3_buffer1 (single road) and create multiple polygon buffers around this line, each 100 m w ide.
7) Where do we need overlays? Give an example.
8) Use Exercise_chapter3_overlay1 and Exercise_chapter4_overlay2. Overlay these two polygon files. How many polygons do you have after the overlay process? Can you shortly describe them.
9) Again, Exercise_chapter3_overlay1 and Exercise_chapter4_overlay2. Another overlay, but now you are interested only in the area, which is of both layers.
10) Use Exercise_chapter3_lines2poly1 and create a polygon from these lines.
11) Use Exercise_chapter3_ lines2poly2 and create a polygon from these lines. There might be a problem. Why? How to resolve the problem?
12) Use Exercise_chapter3_points2poly and create a polygon from these points.
13) Create a 1-km grid in Kasoa with the same labels as the UPN code (xxx-yyyy).
- - - - -
Questions to Chapter 4, block 1:
1) How do you select and ‘import’ a database to Map Maker?
2) Which file types can you ‘import’?
3) How does Map Maker ‘know’ which polygon refers to which data record (or row)?
4) Download file ‘Exercise_chapter4_badexample’ from folder Exercise. Which are the 5 errors in this file.
5) What is the on-hit option to display database figures?
6) What can you use the on-hit option for?
7) Which other options do you have to display the values of your database? Mention at least 2.
8) What is a graded color scheme?
9) Can I use a graded color scheme for:
Household density, per region: yes / no
Names of district capitals: yes / no
GDP per capita, per region: yes / no
Code for car license plate, per region: yes / no
Last census year, per region: yes / no
10) What are bands in a graded color scheme?
11) Use file of question 4, column Sample1 and Sample3. Create three different types of charts. Make screenshuts or print to JPG file and submit, with your name.
12) Use again the same file. Make a circle (pie) with the size indicated in column Sample3. Make a screenshut or print to JPG file and submit, with your name.
- - - - -
Questions to Chapter 5, block 1:
1) Enter following points in Excel:
2) Import these points to Map Maker.
3) Where are they?
4) Convert following points to latitude / longitude coordinates:
5) Convert following coordinates, which are in War Office – feet, to the UTM system:
6) What is the maximum length of tracking with our GPS?
7) What is the standard ArcView / ArcGIS format?
8) How do we bring such a file from ArcView / ArcGIS into Map Maker?
9) Use Exercise_chapter5_projection1 : In which projection system is this file? How do you know?
10) Convert it to UTM.
- - - - -
Questions to Chapter 5, block 2:
1) What kind of raster data do we expect from other sources? Mention at least 3.
2) From which sources (agencies …) do we expect raster data ? Mention at least 2.
3) On what type of media do we expect data from other sources? Mention at least 3.
4) When we receive external raster data, do we expect them to fit immediately to the LUPMIS system?
5) If 'no' at the previous question: Why not?
6) Explain the main 4 characteristics, where we might have to convert them?
7) Why are we using JPG format?
9) What does 'resolution' mean?
10) Why do we 'resize'?
11) For land use mapping: Which resolution do we use?
12) For Local Plan: Which resolution do we use?
13) A tile size of 6x3 km is good for which type of plans?
14) What does '663741_2008_2x1_40' mean?
15) What do the coordinates of the NE corner of '663741_2008_2x1_40' mean?
16) Why does '663741_2008_2x1_180' not fit to our system?
17) To see a house (coordinates 665453 - 746984) on the photo, which file do I choose?
18) When do we use the 'mosaicing & clipping' option? 2 answers.
19) My image has a resolution of 50 cm. I want to convert it to an image of 150 cm resolution. Which factor do I have to enter for the conversion in Map Maker?
- - - - -
Questions to Chapter 5, block 3:
1) What is wrong in filename 678736_120_2007_6x3?
2) Why does filename 678736_2007_6x3_10 not fit to the LUPMIS system?
3) Does filename 690777_2009_6x3_100 fit to the LUPMIS system?
4) In which region is 648731_2009_2x1_50? You can use LUPMIS data.
5) You want to get an overview of the area. Which file do you use?
6) On file 582566_2008_12x6_240 you want to identify a house. Is that possible?
7) Give an example of a file, which you can use for land use mapping for the Structure Plan:
8) Give the coordinates of the northeast corner of 831647_2008_6x3_100.
9) Give the coordinates of the southeast corner of 843688_2008_2x1_40.
10) How many pixels are in W-E direction on file 874564_2008_6x3_100?
11) How many pixels does file 985456_2008_12x6_200 have?
12) What is the problem with file 810566_2009_12x6_200? You can use LUPMIS data.
13) Mosaicing is the tool to ‘combine’ two or more images. Is this possible for:
741681_2008_6x3_100 with 747681_2008_6x3_100 ? If ‘no’: Why not?
741685_2008_6x3_100 with 741688_2008_6x3_200 ? If ‘no’: Why not?
567765_2008_12x6_200 with 573765_2008_6x3_200 ? If ‘no’: Why not?
577654_2008_12x6_200 with 579654_2008_2x1_200 ? If ‘no’: Why not?
14) Map display below shows an index of images. Which image (i.e. which filename) do you use to see the point in the circle?
- - - - -
Questions to Chapter 5, block 4:
1) What is georeferencing?
2) What do you need for georeferencing?
3) What are our expectations on accuracy for georeferencing in LUPMIS?
4) If you don’t have GPS points for georeferences, what alternatives do you have? Mention 2.
5) What are the steps to have a fully digitized Sector Layout map in LUPMIS, which you have received in hardcopy?
6) Why / when do you have to shift a raster map?
7) Examples of shifting raster maps:
8) How do you shift a raster map?
9) What is masking?
10) What do you need for masking?
- - - - -
Questions to Annex 15:
1) Why do you need population calculations?
2) What is the difference between population projection and planned population forecast?
3) For which period should you make a population forecast for SDF?
4) For which period should you make a population forecast for a Structure Plan?
5) Which figures do you need to make a calculation of a town in 20 years?
6) For a town, which had a population of 30,000 in 1991 and 45,000 in 2008: What is the annual growth rate? You can use a calculator or Excel.
7) Similar: For a town, which had a population of 10,000 in 1986 and 15,354 in 2008: What is the annual growth rate? You can use a calculator or Excel.
8) Based on question 6: What is the projected population for the year 2020? You can use a calculator or Excel.
9) Based on question 7: What is the projected population for the year 2020? You can use a calculator or Excel.
10) Place towns of questions 6 and 7 on a map of Central Region and display pies according to their size. Save it as a screenshot or print to file and copy it to my General folder.
11) On top of question 10: Make a proposal of the number of people, which should actually live there according to the planners’ ideas. Make a pie according to these planned population numbers on top of the pies of question 10. Save it as a screenshot or print to file and copy it to my General folder.
12) Can you have different segments (colors) in one pie (circle) together with different sizes?
13) Based on question 12: What can it be used for?
- - - - -
Questions to Annex 16:
1) When do we need to import survey data to Map Maker?
Data 1: Following survey data were recorded in the field:
Starting point is at 783370, 608684
77 deg, 100 m
133 deg, 69 m
175 deg, 78 m
249 deg, 70 m
267 deg, 72 m
26 deg, 70 m
296 deg, 57 m
208 deg, 44 m
328 deg, 46 m
48 deg, 64 m
2) Draw the polyline of these data, and save it with your name.
3) Every survey has some error. How big is the error in this case?
4) What can you do to 'distribute' the error? What does it mean to 'distribute' the error?
5) Draw the polygon of these data, and save it with your name.
6) Draw the polygon of question 2above, showing all coordinates, and save it with your name.
7) Draw the polygon of question 2 above, showing all distance & bearings, and save it with your name.
8) Where is this polygon?
Data set 2: Another survey returned these distances from two fix points:
Fix point 1: 783348, 608744
Fix point 2: 783675, 608748
Surveyed point 1: Distance from fix point 1: 134 m, from fix point 2: 306 m
Surveyed point 2: Distance from fix point 1: 145 m, from fix point 2: 194 m
Surveyed point 3: Distance from fix point 1: 381 m, from fix point 2: 67 m
Surveyed point 4: Distance from fix point 1: 426 m, from fix point 2: 198 m
Surveyed point 5: Distance from fix point 1: 245 m, from fix point 2: 267 m
Surveyed point 6: Distance from fix point 1: 204 m, from fix point 2: 342 m
9) Can you map these points? Save it with your name.
10) Can you draw a polygon from these points? Save it with your name.
- - - - -
Questions to 'LUPMIS Tools ':
1) What are the benefits of having a ‘system’?
2) Are these valid folders:
2a) C:\LUPMIS\Kasoa: yes / no
2b) C:\Kasoa: yes / no
2c) C:\LUPMIS\Kasoa\dra: yes / no
3) What is a correct name for a file in LUPMIS:
3a) Kasoa_electricity OR Kasoa_electr OR Kasoa_el OR Kasoa_power ?
3b) Dodowa_schools OR Dodowa_school OR Dodowa_education OR Dodowa_educ OR Dodowa-educ OR Dodowa_academics ?
4) How many Structure Plans can we have in a District?
5) Can you add SDF maps to the system? yes / no
6) Give an example for an SDF map.
7) Can you add a new Structure Plan map? yes / no
8) Give an example for a new Structure Plan map.
9) Can you add a new Local Plan map? yes / no
10) Give an example for a new Local Plan map.
11) Are these filenames valid:
11a) 6660321_2012_6x3_80.jpg: yes / no
11b) 6660321_6x3_2010_80.jpg: yes / no
11c) 666321_2010_6x3_80.jpg: yes / no
12) Is point 666777 / 743342 covered by following photos:
12a) 6650743_2009_6x3_80.jpg: yes / no
12b) 6710743_2009_6x3_80.jpg: yes / no
12c) 6590743_2009_6x3_80.jpg: yes / no
13d) 6590743_2009_12x6_80.jpg: yes / no
13) In file 6590729_2009_6x3_80.jpg are which points:
13a) 658564 / 729868: yes / no
13b) 661748 / 729911: yes / no
13c) 664567 / 7290123: yes / no
14) What is planning zone 18?
15) Do we put rivers and roads together in one layer (DRA file)? yes / no
15a) To which file(s)?
15b) In which folder?
16) Do we put residential and commercial planning zones together in one layer (DRA file)? yes / no
16a) To which file(s)?
16b) In which folder?
17) Where can I find the filenames, which are accepted by the ‘system’?
18) Briefly, explain the overlay process
19) Which ‘Tools’ exist in LUPMIS?
20) Is 6650729_2009_6x3_80.jpg a photo or a topo or something else?
21) Is point 731564 / 666453 inside 6650729_2009_6x3_80.jpg? yes / no
22) When you overlay a new mapping unit to a complex map, what are the steps?
23) How can we easily check, if all polygons in a map (plan) have a planning zone number (style) ?
24) When we update the system, we differentiate between ________ and ________ ?
25) How do we update each of these two?
26) Which files are created when you call the ‘Legend’ at the Printing Tools?
27) What is the syntax (format) of UPN?
28) What is a ‘full layout’?
29) Which features are in the ‘full layout’?
30 Which features have to be created for the ‘full layout’?
31) If you want to print on A3 (or A2…), where do you change?
32) … and what happens to the scale?
33) Which population figures you have to enter, if you want to show the current and future (after 5 years) population of Kasoa and Awutu?
34) Can you also show the population after 10 years?
35) If all the population circles are too large, what can you do?
36) What is the idea of the ‘In Ghana’ tool?
37) What do you do, if UPN numbers are too large on the map?
38) What is understood by ‘other planning maps’?
39) What is the difference between paper size and map size?
40) Where can you enter population data?
41) How do you start with a new district?
42) What are the steps to bring in the first data for a new district?
43) Which style do you give the <district>_region map?
44) If the list of settlements shows only numbers, what is the reason? How to fix?